Sr. Product Development Chemist
- Job Ref:
- 505 Central Ave, Pawtucket, RI 02861
- Chemist and Lab Tech
- Employment Type:
- Full Time
As a Sr. Chemist for the Thermoplastic Elastomers (TPE) business, you will be responsible for product development, which is the development of formulations for various applications, product support, sales support, product recommendation, and customer support and interaction related to different types of thermoplastic elastomers such as TPS, TPV, TPO, and other alloys and blends.
The right candidate for this role will leverage strong innovation, project leadership, and technical problem-solving skills, to create new products and to continuously improve existing products and processes. This is an opportunity to apply your technical knowledge and creative mindset to help in the creation of new product opportunities while working cross-functionally in a collaborative environment.
- On a daily basis, develops, improves and customizes TPE products, formulas, processes, and test methods to meet customer requirements
- Partners with the sales team to work directly with customers on matters relating to material development, performance, & troubleshooting.
- Defines product performance requirements, manufacturing methods, and cost structure for new products
- Works with internal and external suppliers to keep up with the latest developments in polymer, additives, and process technology
- Characterizes samples via various analytical techniques and develops equivalent compounds, formulates and tests compounds against customer specifications.
- Provides support to Application Development, Sales and Marketing, and work directly with customers if needed
- Supports manufacturing and Quality Control on quality compliance, troubleshooting, specification development, test method development, scale up trials, process optimization, etc.
- Write technical papers and reports and prepare standards and specifications for processes, facilities, products, formulas or tests.
- Active use of R&D supporting tools
- Position requires 5 or more years of experience in product development of polymer compounds (preferably thermoplastic elastomers)
- Masters or PhD in Polymer Science, Polymer Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering or Chemical Engineering required
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and cross-functionally
- Proven ability to think creatively and the confidence to put forth new ideas and concepts
- Strong organizational and project management skills