Technical Manager - Color Business
- Job Ref:
- 2224 Atlanta Hwy SW, Gainesville, GA 30504
- Chemist and Lab Tech
- Employment Type:
- Full Time
When Alfred Fain founded a small Rhode Island tire store in 1924, at the time no one could have predicted how Teknor Apex would become an international custom compounder sought out by companies around the world. After a nearly hundred-year journey that’s carried us through acquisitions and expansion, we now have nine U.S. locations, as well as operations in Belgium, Singapore, Germany, and China.
Throughout this global expansion Teknor has remained a privately held company, and today Fain’s grandson sits at the helm, maintaining the family’s tradition of fostering deep employee and customer relationships. These relationships are what allow us—together—to deliver customized compound solutions and help our customer’s create better products.
“Manufacturing is a team sport and we work together to achieve our goals.” ~Jon Fain, CEO
Join the team behind our custom compounds.
Teknor Apex is seeking a highly motivated and results-driven Technical Manager for our Color Division within the Engineered Materials Value Chain. This is a remote role with a preferred base location or proximity to one of the following areas:
Pawtucket, Rhode Island : Gainesville, GA : Jacksonville, Texas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsible for technical service, product development and R&D within the corporate business segment. Also, develops communication and prioritization of technical group activities. Provides technical leadership, supports business, and customers requirements. Is typically a member of the corporate business segment Business Team.
- Participate as a member of the business team representing technical with a dotted line responsibility to the Business Manager.
- Oversees all technical activity, R&D, Technical Service, and Process Engineering, within the group by setting objectives, direction, and priorities based on the corporate business segments direction.
- Provides where appropriate reports internally and externally on customer and group progress.
- Manages all department employees, including personnel issues, performance evaluations, and projects.
- Coordinates the scale-up and ensures the manufacturing of new products.
- Sets up systems to monitor progress and key activities with the Technical group.
- Ensures that department goals are consistent and supportive of business goals.
- Identifies and defines resources (personnel and equipment) for the department.
- Assists in hiring and training of new employees.
- Handles and assists in specific customer problems and issues.
- Maintains an awareness of the latest technology developments
- Maintains department SOPs
- Ensures Company safety procedures are being adhered to.
- Reviews financial performance reports of the department versus budget
- Supports management of Intellectual Property for the corporate business segment
- Manages the effective use of R&D supporting systems
- Manage, with close collaboration with Regulatory, product safety, and regulatory issues.
- Performs additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- The position assumes full managerial responsibility for a single department with multiple functions or acts as a coordinator of multiple departments.
- The position has responsibility for the department’s budget.
- Work requires the application of a variety of policy, procedure, or precedent which are typically created by this position. A high degree of analytic ability and inductive thinking is required to address new technically complex problems.
- Position requires critical thinking to help solve both specific and broad technical problems. Ability to recognize, evaluate, and guide the use of creativity with departmental personnel.
- Self-motivated, disciplined, and directed; results oriented.
- Strong decision making and problem-solving skills
- Effective communication skills along with strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Able to establish priorities and direct activities of direct reports to assure R&D, technical services, and process engineering project activities are accomplished in a timely manner
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- Position requires 5 plus years of technical management experience with Color Technology.
- Must have Excellent Color Vision (as determined by the Munsell 100 Hue Test).
- Position requires an in-depth level of technical understanding of additive and colorant solutions and the ability to manage complex projects that cross several departments.
- Position requires strong leadership abilities to manage various business segments from a technical perspective.
- Excellent public speaking skills
- Bachelor of Science Degree required in Engineering or Science. A Master’s Degree is preferred.
- Up to 25% domestic travel to customers, conferences, Teknor locations in TX, GA, RI
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 15 lbs
- Must be able to talk, listen and speak clearly on telephone